J. J. Keller® Compliance Network Logo
Start Experiencing Compliance Network for Free!
Update to Professional Trial!

Be Part of the Ultimate Safety & Compliance Community

Trending news, knowledge-building content, and more – all personalized to you!

Already have an account?
Thank you for investing in EnvironmentalHazmat related content. Click 'UPGRADE' to continue.
Enjoy your limited-time access to the Compliance Network Professional Trial!
A confirmation welcome email has been sent to your email address from ComplianceNetwork@t.jjkellercompliancenetwork.com. Please check your spam/junk folder if you can't find it in your inbox.
Thank you for your interest in EnvironmentalHazmat related content.
You've reached your limit of free access, if you'd like more info, please contact us at 800-327-6868.
Commercial driver’s license

One of the primary qualifications to operate a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) in interstate, intrastate, or foreign commerce is that the driver has a current and valid CMV operator’s license issued by the driver’s state of residence.

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) sets standards for some of these licenses, specifically those for heavier single-unit or combination vehicles, buses transporting 16 or more passengers (including the driver), and vehicles transporting hazardous materials. These vehicles pose a higher safety risk and require a commercial driver’s license (CDL) or, for drivers first learning to drive these larger vehicles, a commercial learner’s permit (CLP).