Experience Everything Compliance Network Has to Offer
Start Customizing Your Profile for Free!
Update to Professional Trial!
Already have an account?
YOU'RE ALL SET!
Enjoy your limited-time access to the Compliance Network Professional Trial!
A confirmation welcome email has been sent to your email address from ComplianceNetwork@t.jjkellercompliancenetwork.com. Please check your spam/junk folder if you can't find it in your inbox.
YOU'RE ALL SET!
Thank you for your interest in EnvironmentalHazmat related content.
You've reached your limit of free access, if you'd like more info, please contact us at 800-327-6868.
- Federal regulations define the types of materials that fall under five specific universal waste categories and specify in what situations that material can be considered a universal waste.
The universal waste regulations streamline hazardous waste management standards for specific, federally designated wastes. The rule is designed to reduce the amount of hazardous waste items to landfills, to encourage recycling and proper disposal of certain common hazardous wastes, and to reduce the regulatory burden on businesses that generate these wastes.
Cited under 40 CFR 273, the federal regulations define the types of materials that fall under five specific universal waste categories (batteries, pesticides, mercury-containing equipment, lamps, and non-empty aerosol cans) and specify in what situations that material can be considered a universal waste.
Under these regulations, organizations are required to:
- Identify waste batteries, lamps, pesticides, mercury-containing equipment, or non-empty aerosol cans eligible for the universal waste program.
- Store universal wastes in appropriate containers.
- Label containers with the words “Universal Waste,” and the type of universal waste (e.g., waste batteries, waste lamps).
- Ship universal waste offsite within one year.
- Ship universal wastes to another universal waste handler or a permitted receiving facility.
J. J. Keller is the trusted source for DOT / Transportation, OSHA / Workplace Safety, Human Resources, Construction Safety and Hazmat / Hazardous Materials regulation compliance products and services. J. J. Keller helps you increase safety awareness, reduce risk, follow best practices, improve safety training, and stay current with changing regulations.