J. J. Keller® Compliance Network Logo
Start Customizing Your Profile for Free!
Update to Professional Trial!

Experience Everything Compliance Network Has to Offer

Already have an account?
Thank you for investing in EnvironmentalHazmat related content. Click 'UPGRADE' to continue.
Enjoy your limited-time access to the Compliance Network Professional Trial!
A confirmation welcome email has been sent to your email address from ComplianceNetwork@t.jjkellercompliancenetwork.com. Please check your spam/junk folder if you can't find it in your inbox.
Thank you for your interest in EnvironmentalHazmat related content.
You've reached your limit of free access, if you'd like more info, please contact us at 800-327-6868.

How to Complete the PHMSA Hazardous Materials Registration Statement

Transporters and offerers of certain quantities and types of hazmat must file an annual registration statement with the U.S. Department of Transportation, Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA).

If transporting or offering the following, PHMSA registration is required:

  • A highway route controlled quantity of a Class 7 (radioactive) material, as defined in 49 CFR 173.403. A "highway route controlled quantity" may be shipped by highway, rail, air, or water.
  • More than 25 kilograms (55 pounds) of a Division 1.1, 1.2, or 1.3 (explosive) material (see 49 CFR 173.50) in a motor vehicle, rail car, or freight container.
  • More than one liter (1.06 quarts) per package of a "material extremely toxic by inhalation" (that is, a "material poisonous by inhalation" that meets the criteria for "hazard zone A" as specified in 49 CFR 173.116(a) for gases or 173.133(a) for liquids).
  • A hazardous material (including hazardous wastes) in a bulk packaging having a capacity equal to or greater than 13,248 liters (3,500 gallons) for liquids or gases or more than 13.24 cubic meters (468 cubic feet) for solids. Please note that persons who offer or transport hazardous materials that do not require placarding (that is, Class 9 materials) in a bulk packaging with a capacity greater than 3,500 gallons or 468 cubic feet, must register.
  • A shipment in other than a bulk packaging of 2,268 kilograms (5,000 pounds) gross weight or more of one class of hazardous materials (including hazardous wastes) for which placarding of a vehicle, rail car, or freight container is required for that class.
  • A quantity of hazardous material that requires placarding. The offering and transporting of hazardous materials by farmers in direct support of their farming operations are excepted from this category of activities requiring registration.

Note: This how-to document covers the paper filing, which will closely follow the online form. Online filing is highly encouraged and preferred by PHMSA. Access the PHMSA registration portal here. You must have an account in order to complete your registration online. If you do not have an account, you can create one on the site.


1. Type of Registration: Indicate the type of registration you are making: initial, renewal, or amendment. Please mark only one category.

Initial: Select this if you are a first-time registrant.

Renewal: Select this option if you have registered in one or more previous years. Add your most recently issued registration number in the space provided.

Amendment: Choose this option if there is a change in your company’s name or principal place of business (you must amend your registration within 30 days of this change).

2-5. Identifying information:

Company name and address: Enter the company name and mailing address of the principal place of business. If your physical address is different from the mailing address, please enter both. If your mailing address is a P.O. Box, you must supply a physical address.

DOT, MC/MX Number, or Railroad Alphabetic Code: If your company has a DOT number, MC/MX number, or Railroad Alphabetic Code, enter in the space provided; if not, leave these spaces blank.

Modes Used to Transport Hazmat: Check all the modes of transport that you used to move hazardous materials during the previous calendar year (ending the previous December).

6-8. Registration Fees and Payment:

NAICS Code: Enter the six-digit code that best describes your company’s primary business activity. For a searchable list of codes, see here.

SBA Size Standard: Indicate whether your company meets the SBA size standard for a small business within your NAICS industry group.

Not-for-Profit Organization: Indicate whether you are not-for-profit organization under 26 USC 501(a).

Registration Period: Fill in the appropriate years for the period for which you are registering. The registration period goes from July 1 of the current year through June 30 of the following year. Registrations may be for up to three years.

Registration Fees: Payment of fees is required. See here for more information.


9. Prior-Year Survey Information: Use this part of the form to record your company’s hazardous materials activities during the prior calendar year ending December 31. If you engaged in none of the hazardous materials activities described here last year, mark category G.

For each of the categories A, B, C, D, E, or F that you marked, also indicate whether you handled the hazardous materials as a Shipper, Carrier, or Other. Check as many as apply.

In the list of states and territories, check the box for each state or territory in which you engaged in any of previous six categories of activities. If you checked “carrier,” mark all states in which you operated as a carrier of any category of hazardous material. If you indicated “shipper” or “other,” mark the box only for states from which you offered hazardous materials; you need not indicate states to which or through which the materials were transported. Registrants operating in all of the “lower 48” states may indicate “48 Contiguous States.”

10. Certification of Information: An appropriate representative of the registrant should sign this certification. Signing your name certifies that the information on this form is true, accurate, and complete. Entering your name, telephone number, and email address on the on-line form is the equivalent of signing the paper form, and is legally binding. Correspondence regarding registration, including next year’s form and instructions, will be addressed to the individual listed in this section.