Experience Everything Compliance Network Has to Offer
Start Customizing Your Profile for Free!
Update to Professional Trial!
Already have an account?
YOU'RE ALL SET!
Enjoy your limited-time access to the Compliance Network Professional Trial!
A confirmation welcome email has been sent to your email address from ComplianceNetwork@t.jjkellercompliancenetwork.com. Please check your spam/junk folder if you can't find it in your inbox.
YOU'RE ALL SET!
Thank you for your interest in EnvironmentalHazmat related content.
You've reached your limit of free access, if you'd like more info, please contact us at 800-327-6868.
Copyright 2023 J. J. Keller & Associate, Inc. For re-use options please contact email@example.com or call 800-558-5011.
Section 172.504(b) establishes the general requirements when using the DANGEROUS placard for multiple Table 2 materials.
In this scenario, one facility loads a transport vehicle with the following:
- 500 pounds of Class 8 corrosive material;
- 500 pounds of Class 3 flammable liquids; and
- 2,300 pounds of Division 5.1 material.
The carrier asks if a DANGEROUS placard can be used to satisfy the placarding requirements.
In this interpretation, PHMSA addresses the requirements of the DANGEROUS placard rather than individual placards that represent each material.
In interpretation Ref. No. 07-0074, PHMSA explains that section 172.504(b) authorizes the use of the DANGEROUS placard for Table 2 shipments of two or more categories in non-bulk packages that require different placards.
- The DANGEROUS placard is authorized for the mixed truckload shipment.
- However, when 2,205 pounds of more than one category of material is loaded at one loading facility, the placard specified in Table 2 must be applied.
- Since the weight of the Division 5.1 material exceeds the 2,205-pound threshold, the OXIDIZER placard is required to cover the 2,300 pounds of Division 5.1 material.
- Both the DANGEROUS and OXIDIZER placards should be used for this shipment to indicate the presence of both the Class 8 and Class 3 materials, as well as the Division 5.1 material.
READ MORESHOW LESS
['Hazmat markings, Placards, and Labels']
['Hazmat Placarding', 'Hazmat Labels']
J. J. Keller is the trusted source for DOT / Transportation, OSHA / Workplace Safety, Human Resources, Construction Safety and Hazmat / Hazardous Materials regulation compliance products and services. J. J. Keller helps you increase safety awareness, reduce risk, follow best practices, improve safety training, and stay current with changing regulations.