Experience Everything Compliance Network Has to Offer
Start Customizing Your Profile for Free!
Update to Professional Trial!
Already have an account?
YOU'RE ALL SET!
Enjoy your limited-time access to the Compliance Network Professional Trial!
A confirmation welcome email has been sent to your email address from ComplianceNetwork@t.jjkellercompliancenetwork.com. Please check your spam/junk folder if you can't find it in your inbox.
YOU'RE ALL SET!
Thank you for your interest in EnvironmentalHazmat related content.
You've reached your limit of free access, if you'd like more info, please contact us at 800-327-6868.
Copyright 2023 J. J. Keller & Associate, Inc. For re-use options please contact email@example.com or call 800-558-5011.
RegSenseezExplanationFleet SafetyDriver qualificationsTransportationCommercial drivers license CDLDriving RecordsBest ResultsFocus AreaFleet OperationsEnglishCommercial drivers license information system (CDLIS)USA
Commercial Driver's License Information System (CDLIS)
The Commercial Driver's License Information System (CDLIS) and the National Driver Register (NDR) were created to support the issuance of commercial driver licenses (CDLs) by the jurisdictions.
A state driver licensing agency (SDLA) must use both the CDLIS and NDR to check a driver's record, and the CDLIS to make certain that the applicant does not already have a CDL.
- Commercial driver’s license (CDL): A license issued to an individual by a state or other jurisdiction of domicile, in accordance with the standards contained in Part 383, which authorizes the individual to operate a class of a commercial motor vehicle.
- Commercial Driver’s License Information System (CDLIS): A nationwide computer system that enables SDLAs to ensure that each commercial driver has only one driver license and one complete driver record.
- Commercial learner’s permit (CLP): A permit issued to an individual by a state or other jurisdiction of domicile, in accordance with the standards contained in Part 383, which, when carried with a valid driver’s license issued by the same state or jurisdiction, authorizes the individual to operate a class of a commercial motor vehicle when accompanied by a holder of a valid CDL for purposes of behind-the-wheel training.
- National Driver Register (NDR): A division in the National Center for Statistics and Analysis under the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) that maintains a computerized database which contains information on individuals whose privilege to operate a motor vehicle has been revoked, suspended, canceled or denied or who have been convicted of serious traffic-related offenses.
Summary of requirements
The CDLIS Central Site houses identification data about each commercial driver registered in the jurisdictions, such as:
- Date of birth
- Social Security Number
- State driver license number
- AKA information
- Current "State of Record" (SOR)
This information constitutes a driver's unique CDLIS Master Pointer Record (MPR). Each MVA houses detailed information about each driver for which it is the SOR. This detailed information, called the driver history, includes:
- Identification information;
- License information;
- A history of convictions, withdrawals, and disqualifications;
- *Medical certification status information, including information from the driver's medical exam certificate; and
- *Driver’s self-certification for the type of driving operation(s) engaged in.
*Beginning January 30, 2012.
When a jurisdiction MVA queries CDLIS to obtain information about an applicant prior to issuing a CDL, the CDLIS Central Site compares data provided by the State of Inquiry (SOI) against all MPRs in CDLIS. If one or more matches are returned, then the CDLIS Central Site "points" the SOI to the SOR. The SOR can then provide the detailed information about the driver's commercial driving history.
Employers, prospective employers, and drivers may request information from CDLIS by contacting the appropriate licensing agency.
READ MORESHOW LESS
['Driver qualifications', 'Commercial drivers license CDL']
['Driving Records', 'Commercial drivers license information system (CDLIS)']
J. J. Keller is the trusted source for DOT / Transportation, OSHA / Workplace Safety, Human Resources, Construction Safety and Hazmat / Hazardous Materials regulation compliance products and services. J. J. Keller helps you increase safety awareness, reduce risk, follow best practices, improve safety training, and stay current with changing regulations.