Experience Everything Compliance Network Has to Offer
Start Customizing Your Profile for Free!
Update to Professional Trial!
Already have an account?
YOU'RE ALL SET!
Enjoy your limited-time access to the Compliance Network Professional Trial!
A confirmation welcome email has been sent to your email address from ComplianceNetwork@t.jjkellercompliancenetwork.com. Please check your spam/junk folder if you can't find it in your inbox.
YOU'RE ALL SET!
Thank you for your interest in EnvironmentalHazmat related content.
You've reached your limit of free access, if you'd like more info, please contact us at 800-327-6868.
- When a tank system or secondary containment system has had a leak or spill, or becomes unfit for use, it must be taken out of operation immediately.
When a tank system or secondary containment system has had a leak or spill, or becomes unfit for use, it must be taken out of operation immediately, and the owner or operator must follow release response requirements.
The following release response steps apply even if the release has been contained by the tank’s secondary containment system. Release response steps include:
- Determine the cause of the release.
- Remove any remaining waste from the tank or secondary containment system within 24 hours or at the “earliest practicable time.”
- Prevent further releases to the environment.
- Remove and properly dispose of any contaminated media.
- Immediately notify the National Response Center (800) 424-8802 and the state implementing agency (unless the release is exempted under 264.196(d)(2) and 265.196(d)(2).)
- Submit a follow-up report to the National Response Center and the state within 30 days.
- Repair the tank or secondary containment system or close the tank or secondary containment system so they can no longer be used.
- Have an independent, qualified, registered professional engineer certify any major repairs (264.196(f) and 265.196(f)).
J. J. Keller is the trusted source for DOT / Transportation, OSHA / Workplace Safety, Human Resources, Construction Safety and Hazmat / Hazardous Materials regulation compliance products and services. J. J. Keller helps you increase safety awareness, reduce risk, follow best practices, improve safety training, and stay current with changing regulations.