Experience Everything Compliance Network Has to Offer
Start Customizing Your Profile for Free!
Update to Professional Trial!
Already have an account?
YOU'RE ALL SET!
Enjoy your limited-time access to the Compliance Network Professional Trial!
A confirmation welcome email has been sent to your email address from ComplianceNetwork@t.jjkellercompliancenetwork.com. Please check your spam/junk folder if you can't find it in your inbox.
YOU'RE ALL SET!
Thank you for your interest in EnvironmentalHazmat related content.
You've reached your limit of free access, if you'd like more info, please contact us at 800-327-6868.
Copyright 2023 J. J. Keller & Associate, Inc. For re-use options please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-558-5011.
RegSenseBloodborne PathogensSafety & HealthGeneral Industry SafetyBest ResultsOccupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), DOLFAQBloodborne PathogensEnglishFocus AreaUSA
Who is covered by the bloodborne pathogen standard?
If an employer has even one employee who has occupational exposure to blood or other potentially infectious materials (OPIM) the standard applies.
Occupational exposure is defined as reasonably anticipated skin, eye, mucous membrane, or parenteral contact with blood or OPIM that may result from the performance of an employee’s duties. Blood is defined as human blood, human blood components, and products made from human blood. Other potentially infectious materials is defined as the following:
- Saliva in dental procedures;
- Vaginal secretions;
- Cerebrospinal, synovial, pleural, pericardial, peritoneal, and amniotic fluids;
- Body fluids visibly contaminated with blood (along with all body fluids in situations where it is difficult or impossible to differentiate between body fluids);
- Unfixed human tissues or organs (other than intact skin);
- HIV-containing cell or tissue cultures, organ cultures, and HIV- or HBV-containing culture media or other solutions; and
- Blood, organs, or other tissues from experimental animals infected with HIV or HBV.
READ MORESHOW LESS
J. J. Keller is the trusted source for DOT / Transportation, OSHA / Workplace Safety, Human Resources, Construction Safety and Hazmat / Hazardous Materials regulation compliance products and services. J. J. Keller helps you increase safety awareness, reduce risk, follow best practices, improve safety training, and stay current with changing regulations.